FogBugz Technical Support

A forum for technical support discussion related to Fogbugz.
The current FogBugz Knowledge Base can be found at

Posts by Fog Creek Employees are marked:

Release Notes
Network Status

Max Length of Saved Searches

Hi all,

A few months ago I reported a problem to a tech support guy about an error generated when you exceed the maximum length of a search. We have been saving long combinations of "assignedTo:StaffMemberName" to create filters for teams of staff members. I've lost the email sorry.

Anyhow, wanted to post here and see if anybody has experienced the problem and if there have been any fixes for it.

Thanks All.

Jay Kyburz Send private email
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Hi Jay,

That's our bad - looks like that case fell through the cracks.  I do think it's a search length issue, and have reproduced the issue here with a similar search.  I'll follow up with the developer today and see if I can get an answer.
Eric Nehrlich Send private email
Thursday, December 6, 2007
any luck with this issue.
Jay Kyburz Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Our search developer hissed at me in frustration when I asked him about this case.  He's still looking at it, but he doesn't have any answers yet.
Eric Nehrlich Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Tell him if he can fix it for the next release i'll get him a case of beer. (Thats how you get things done in Australia)

While you are offering him this bribe on my behalf can you ask him if it's possibly a problem with our database setup. Is it something I need my IT guys to look at?

Also, regardless of the fix, it would be nice if "assingnedTo" could be shortened to "at" or something. Would save me a bunch of characters and faster to type.
Jay Kyburz Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Hi Jay,

We found the fix for this bug, and it will be included in the next release.  Didn't even need any beer ;).

If this is absolutely ruining your ability to search at the moment, there is something that you can change on your end to alleviate the problem...assuming you're comfortable modifying your DB.

All you have to do is have one of your DB guys increase the size constraint on one of your DB columns.

The "SearchLog" table has a column called "sSearchFor" which is limited to 255 characters.  You can increase this limit to, say, 500, for a temporary fix.

The next release of FogBugz will avoid this problem by simply not logging searches that extend beyond this column's boundaries.

I've opened another case for your "at" request.

Thanks for your patience and help.
Ben Kamens Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Thanks Ben!
Jay Kyburz Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics
Powered by FogBugz Bug Tracking and Evidence-Based Scheduling.