FogBugz Technical Support

A forum for technical support discussion related to Fogbugz.
The current FogBugz Knowledge Base can be found at http://help.fogcreek.com/fogbugz.

Posts by Fog Creek Employees are marked:

Documentation
Release Notes
Network Status

capital 'ä' makes text invisible

With a recent update (fogbugz? Windows Update? I don't know) I have the following changes:


1. The default fixed-width font now looks sucky at 10pts.
(It seems to be Courier non-TT, gets better with ClearType, but that makes other things look bad, ClearTypeTuner is no help.)

2. The font for FogBugz forms has changed to something that looks like Comic Sans in disguise. This affects the FogBugz intranet installation (Fields: Comment, Due, Estimate, custom fields, but not the title or the dropdown fields)
-AND-
When entering an capital a-umlaut the letter and everything typed after it becomes invisible. When inserting an capital a-umlaut into existing text, only the letter itself becomes invisible.

Other umlauts work normally: äöüßÖÜ.

Can't observe this in other forms, that's why I am posting here.  HALP!

I try to put one between the arrows:
--> Ä <--
peterchen Send private email
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
 
 
Err, clarification: This affects the intranet FB install and this website. The problem occurs only when filling in a form.

The font changes I can live with, but the weird a-umlaut is giving me headaches.

IE version is 7.0.5730.13. No other browser in reach.
peterchen Send private email
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
 
 
We can't seem to replicate this on site.  We have no one else complaining about the font changing in FogBugz.  Are you using IIS?  Can you do an iisreset and see if that fixes?
Rich Armstrong Send private email
Thursday, February 19, 2009
 
 
Can you try the offending character in the subject line, the case, and in a wiki and let me know if the behavior is the same everywhere?
Rich Armstrong Send private email
Monday, February 23, 2009
 
 
Hi,

sorry for the delay. Here's the things you asked:

Behavior is persistent after IISRESET and after full reboot of the server.

Search filed is NOT affected.
New Case Title is NOT affected
New Case description IS affected.
New Case Due date and time ARE affected
WIKI is not affected at all

I've made some screenshots:
WIKI - New Post: http://cherea.de/img/fbae/wiki_ok.png
New CASE: http://cherea.de/img/fbae/newcase_funnyfont.png
I've typed the same text into the second line of the comment field, only using capital-ä instead of AE.

Also, a screenshot of creating this post, same funny font:
http://cherea.de/img/fbae/mynewpost_funnyfont.png

OS is XP Pro Multilingual, set to US English.

Any other information you need?
----------

Might be something about page encoding and the fonts installed, any fix appreciated.
peterchen Send private email
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
 
 
One of the engineers tells me that if a glyph fails in font rendering, it can make the rest of the line invisible. The text is still there, but it doesn't render.  Can you check the source of the page to see if the text after the character is still there?
Rich Armstrong Send private email
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
 
 
Also, would you please see if the behavior persists with Firefox?
Michael H. Pryor Send private email
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
 
 
>> "One of the engineers tells me that if a glyph fails in font rendering, it can make the rest of the line invisible"

That seems to be the cause: the text is still there, I can select, edit and copy it. Also, some edits make part of the line visible again, and if I delete the capital-ä, the entire line becomes visible again.

Same behavior in Firefox, but it's also the same (unusual) font.

Maybe the font installed on my system is faulty, but I couldn't figure out which font is being used. Other machines here use some Courier (non-TT) like font, and don't show any problem.
peterchen Send private email
Thursday, February 26, 2009
 
 
Here are the fonts in order of what is chosen:

fontSerif = "'Cambria',Georgia,'Times New Roman',Times,serif"
fontSans = "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"
fontTT = "Monaco,'Courier New',Courier,monospace"

From what you are saying, it's likely that you have a problem with one of the fontTT fonts on your machine.
Michael H. Pryor Send private email
Thursday, February 26, 2009
 
 
"Monaco" was the culprit.
I've removed it, and FB is back to using Courier New, everything is working fine.

So much hassle with such a little problem. Thanks for your extensive support!
peterchen Send private email
Monday, March 2, 2009
 
 
Wow! Glad we got to a resolution.
Rich Armstrong Send private email
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
 
 

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics
 
Powered by FogBugz Bug Tracking and Evidence-Based Scheduling.